Growing up I never really cared about lemon rice... In fact I was never a fan of rice... I always preferred eating breakfast and packing breakfast for lunch...I can't even recall more than 5 days in my entire school and college days where I took rice for lunch....
So this year when we decided to pack lunch everyday....I wanted something that is really quick and hassle free to make everyday...Lemon Rice was something that came to my mind....
For the past two weeks I have been steadily making this rice dish for lunch ....
Now I know why so many of my friends used to bring this for lunch...and why it suddenly popped in my head for a quick-y lunch
It is a very straightforward preparation... With a dollop of yoghurt it makes the meal complete. I sometimes throw in some grated carrots and peas to increase its goodness....
Ah ! there is one more reason why I love this....It is none other than the lemony flavor it imparts to the rice...I am very passionate about lemon and lemon juice in general....If life gives me lemons I will happily make lemonade and do a happy dance ...
As I mentioned earlier this is a very effortless dish (which is why I like it even more...:p)...For first timers (like myself two weeks back ), the yellow color of the rice is from the added Turmeric...Another spice which I meticulously add in every curry no matter what....!!!
Serves : 2
- Basmati Rice - 1 cup,
- Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Dried red chili - 2
- Ginger - 1/ 2 tbsp minced.
- Green chili - 2 slit lengthwise
- Onion - 1/2 diced
- Lemon juice - 1 big lemon
- Wash and rinse rice with water several times till water runs clear.
- In a sauce add the drained rice with 2 cups of water, little salt and turmeric.
- Bring to boil on high heat. Reduce the heat and close the lid and let the rice slowly cook.
- Once the rice is cooked drain the remaining water if any... Let the rice cool down...
- Meanwhile in another heavy bottomed pan on med-high heat, add some oil splutter some mustard seeds...
- Add in the cumin seeds when it sizzles add the dried red chilies (break them if you like it spicier).
- Saute the chilies for few seconds
- Add the minced ginger saute again for few seconds
- Add the diced onions and slit green chilies and saute till the onions attain a darker shade.
- Now squeeze the lemon and add the juice ... Let everything absorb the lemon flavor.
- But don't let all the lemon juice to dry up.... Add the cooked and fluffy rice.
- Increase the heat to high.
- Quickly mix everything together
- Decrease the heat to medium and close the lid for a minute or two.
- Check for salt and lemon flavor. Add more if required.
- Switch off the heat.
- To increase the flavor, add some cashew nuts, chana dal etc along with red dry chili at step 6 and fry them in the oil.
- Add some peas and grated carrots before step 10 and let it cook.
- Lemon rice is a great way to use the remaining cooked rice. Instead of cooking rice with salt and turmeric, add salt and turmeric into the cooked onions and then after the lemon juice is poured add the cooked rice
Once cooled down, pack for lunch...along with a small container of yoghurt....:)...