This is my favorite chutney. I have this with Appam, Dosa, and my personal favorite Bread Toast. This is the only dish I learned to cook properly when I was in Pune. I used to cook it almost all the weekends and gobble up with toasted bread. This used to be my breakfast and dinner everyday.
This chutney is easy to prepare and I love this so much...And here goes the preperation.
- Tomato - 3 medium
- Onion - 1 medium
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - As required
- Asafetida - A pinch (optional)
- Chili Powder - 2 tsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- In a mixer make a fine pulp of onion and tomato.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds.
- After the mustard seeds are spluttered, remove the pan from the heat source.
- Add the chili powder and just stir it for 2-3 sec and add the Tomato-onion pulp right away.
- Place the pan back to the heat source and stir.
- And continue on a medium heat till all the water is evaporated and the tomato is cooked.
- It will become 1/4th the initial amount.
- Add a pinch of Asafetida at this point and saute.
- Switch off the heat source when the oil starts to appear.