Other day when M and myself was looking the freezer section in the asian store here, couple of quails sitting inside was calling us. We grabbed it right away and came home. I knew the perfect recipe for quail.
Today afternoon seemed to me the right time to make it. We hiked today morning and Quail Roast seemed to be the perfect way to replenish all the burned calories.
For exact ingredient proportions refer: Amma's Cook Book
Ingredients I used :
- Fresh Ginger
- Coriander Leaves
- Mint Leaves
- Green Chilies
- Cardamom pods
- Bay leaf
- Cinnamon stick
- Plain yoghurt
1. Clean the Quails thoroughly both inside and outside.
2. Pat dry with paper towel and prick quails all over with a fork
3. Melt saute onions, sugar, ginger and garlic.
4. Fry on a medium heat until the onions turns light brown. Remove from heat. Let it cool.
5. In a food processor add this fried onions,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16 and make a fine paste .
6. Rub this paste into the quails both inside and outside.
7. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.
****** Proper marination is the key to this dish *******
8. After 3 hours heat oil in a deep, wide pan and gently place all the quails side by side.
9. Cook and cover on a Low-Med heat. Turn the quails occasionally to evenly brown on all sides. Cooking will take about an hour.