I was thinking of making chicken cutlets for quite sometime and yesterday seemed to be the perfect day to make it...Everything went perfectly without causing me any trouble.
I was little apprehensive whether the cutlets may break or not...
But once I mixed everything I knew that the mashed potato was doing its magic ...
A short but wide grin flashed through my face... :D
But I do regret one thing, I added little salt on a whim to the chicken mix just before combining with mashed potato. Oh boy!!! that was one bad impulse..:-(.
I didn't deep fry the cutlets and I do not regret that decision. The cutlets tasted just the way I wanted.
- Chicken breast - 1 or cooked and shredded chicken - 1 1/2 cup.
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Potato - 1 large.
- Onion - 1 cup finely chopped
- Garlic - 1 tbsp finely chopped
- Ginger - 1 tbsp finely chopped
- Green chilli - 2 small
- Red Chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Chicken Masala powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala - 1/4 tsp
- Bread crumbs - 1 cup.
- Egg white - of 1 egg
- Cut the chicken breast into small pieces.
- In a sauce pan add some water(just enough to cook the chicken pieces), turmeric powder, salt and add the chicken pieces.
- Cover and cook the chicken
- When the chicken is cooked open the lid and cook till all the water is dried up.
- When the chicken pieces are cooled, shred the chicken in a food processor.
- Meanwhile in another pan add water and cook the potato without peeling the skin. Cook till potato is soft and ready to be mashed.
- When the potato is cool enough, peel the skin and mash it using a spoon/ in a food processor (which did the job well).
- In a pan heat some oil, add ginger and garlic. Saute for a min.
- Add the onion and green chilies. Saute till soft. [ref. a]
- Add 8,9,10,11, Saute till the masalas are cooked or the oil starts to appear.[ref. b]
- Add the shredded chicken, mix well with the masalas for a minute or two.[ref. c]
- Check for the salt and remove from the heat source.
- When both potato and chicken mix are cool enough[ref. d], combine potato and chicken mix together. Do not add water. Mashed potato should hold the chicken mix together.[ref. e] Add more mashed potato if it is not holding together.
- Now divide it into small pieces and make it into desired cutlet shape.[ref. f]
- Heat oil in a pan, when the oil is hot dip the cutlets in egg white and then coat with bread crumbs and shallow fry it on both sides.
- Remove from oil when the pieces are light brown. It will turn darker.
- Serve hot and enjoy...:)